Life Groups Update Covid19 March 23, 2020
With California’s latest “Stay at Home” measures to slow the rapid growth of Covid-19, Life Groups have never been more important to help people stay connected and gain the support they need. Here’s how we will continue to support one another during this time.
1. Life Group Sign-ups begin online this weekend, March 28.
The official start date for the Spring Quarter will be the week of April 5. We realize many groups are already doing regular “check-ins” and meeting online. Don’t stop. The connection is vital. But don’t worry if you’re not meeting online with your group yet. What’s important is that you’ve “checked in” with them to see how they’re doing however you normally communicate with them.
2. We will provide leaders and hosts with training on how to do online groups.
We realize that this will come easily for some of you – you’re already doing it and/or have a knack for figuring techy things out. Good for you! But there’s others of you that are hesitant or see this as a near impossibility. Don’t worry, we will coach you and get you ready.
How to take your Life Group online:
- The online platform we’re recommending is Zoom. It’s the industry standard. You don’t have to have a password; there is a 100 person limit on how many people can be on a call; and you can see everyone on the screen at the same time when using a Laptop or Desktop computer. There is also an option to join the group by calling in.
- Note: The free version has a 40-minute limit per meeting. You can either schedule two 40-minute meetings back to back, or for $15 a month (a little over $1 per person per group), you get unlimited time.
- Watch this 6-minute Training Video to get started.
- Need more coaching?
- Go HERE to find a variety of updated tutorials from Zoom.
- Sign up for a time slot to join your Life Group Pastor or Admin for an online Zoom meeting this week or next. Each pastor will be sending out an email to their group leaders and hosts with time slot options to coach you through the process and familiarize you with the online group meeting experience.
- Email the Life Group Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our staff will get in contact with you to help.
A couple things to note:
- Switching to an online platform may be clunky in the beginning – not just for you, but others too. That’s to be expected. It takes some getting used to, but you’ll figure it out, and we’re here to help.
- If you are struggling with the technology, someone else in your group may be able to help figure it out.
- Practice as much as you can—with your family, friends, and even your group.
3. Welcome any new people to your group.
If you are adding new members, be ready to welcome them in. This is what the Church does, and our Life Groups are the Church. We will contact you as we have in the past with the information of any new sign-ups for your group. Your quick response and welcome to the group is just as important with an online group.
- We’ll be sending more information on how to welcome them in, and how to have a great first night even online and without the potluck!
4. Confirm your roster…again!
We know everyone did this three weeks ago, but a lot has changed since then in our world and possibly with your group as well. Email or text your Life Groups Pastor or Admin now to confirm if you still have no changes, whether or not you have openings, and any other changes to time or day given that we will now be meeting online.
Thank you for your dedication as leaders and hosts to care for your groups in this season. Please continue to pray for this process of moving to online groups. Pray we can create the connection people need to stay encouraged as we do everything we can to follow Jesus and help others do the same in the midst all that is happening!
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.