Tips & Tutorials for Online Groups
Our Life Group team made a tutorial to walk you through using Zoom. Check it out!
- Zoom — Help
- Be Smart About Security Online – Whenever possible put a password on your meeting and any other recommendations the platform you’re using suggests. Here are some of the recommendations if you’re using Zoom.
- Pro: Only hosts are required to have a Zoom account. There is a Phone-in option.
- Con: Have to download Zoom application to phone or computer. There is a 40 minute limit on the free version.
- How to Use:
- Open Zoom in web browser or mobile app (Apple device, Android device, Chrome web browser extension)
- Click “Host a meeting with video on”
- Click “Invite participants”
- You can copy URL or INVITE to send to others via text message, email, etc.
- Schedule a meeting on the Zoom website and send an invite to join at a specific time, including a link to the meeting. (See Instructions)
- Watch Tutorial Videos created by Zoom.
Watch this video for some helpful tips for meeting online.
#1 Practice logging in & choose the best device option — The device you choose makes a difference. A COMPUTER is better than a TABLET, and a TABLET is better than a SMART PHONE, but they all work. On Zoom there is even a call-in option.
#2 Patience is key, this is a new process for all of us — It may take a few meetings for it to run smoothly, but hang in there because connecting with your Life Group online is better than social isolation.
#3 Print and answer your Life Group questions & sermon notes — Having your notes by your side helps you focus on the people in the video screen, and make the most of your time together studying God’s Word.
#4 Prioritize your time together — Know online meetings may be slightly shorter than in-person meetings. That’s okay. Also, be ready to focus and make your time together a priority. With no travel, you are already saving time. We’re guessing your meetings will be about 60-90 minutes. Be flexible as your group figures it out.
#5 Participate while reducing distractions — A great Life Group meeting allows everyone to participate and keeps God’s Word at the center. Be aware each person needs to participate, so we need to allow everyone time to talk. Online groups have different distractions than a normal group. Distractions will happen so give yourself and your group grace as you navigate together. Some examples of distractions: pets, kids, eating, the background behind you, what you wear, driving or walking, etc. Please do all you can to minimize distractions.
*Be Smart About Security Online – Whenever possible put a password on your meeting and any other recommendations the platform you’re using suggests. Here are some of the recommendations if you’re using Zoom.
This tutorial will walk you through using Breakout Rooms during your online meeting.
BREAK OUT ROOM PRO-TIP: Break into smaller groups to help ensure you are hearing from everyone!
- Why to use breakout rooms? – Use to discuss a question and then join back together, divide into smaller groups for prayer time or divide into men / women only groups.
- What to do in the Room? – Before you break into smaller groups, remember to give the questions you want your group to answer, a general length of time they will be in the room and when they are coming back to meet with the group as whole.
- Using a non-Zoom video platform? – If the platform you’re using doesn’t have the breakout room option, you can still do it by having another person in your group host and create an additional meeting at the same time on the platform you’re using. Send the link to who you want in the other room, and now you have two rooms to meet in.